Our 2017 Megawatt Ventures competition had participation from 10 great finalists! These finalists each had an opportunity to pitch their company on-stage in Orlando, FL for a chance to win $50,000 and an opportunity to attend the Cleantech University Prize national competition in Austin, TX.
These teams offered a wide range of technologies and are located in 7 different states around the country.
- Element 16 (e16tech.com/) – This Los Angeles, California company is developing Low-cost thermal energy storage for commercial facilities.
- Energitek – Orlando, Florida based team is creating a Smart Home Energy Management
- Nascent Energy Systems (www.nascentenergysystems.com)– This Blacksburg, Virginia based team is developing efficient energy harvesting systems for rail infrastructure optimization
- NextPrinted Solar – This Tuscaloosa Alabama based team is developing stable high-efficiency fully-flexible perovskite solar cells
- Pyur Solutions (www.pyursolutions.com)– This Los Angeles, California based team is developing nontoxic, biodegradable, plant-based pesticides, herbicides and insecticides.
- SDV Solar (www.sdvsolar.com) – This Louisville, Kentucy based team is creating an efficient solar heating system for chicken houses.
- Sky Nano LLC (www.skynanotechnologies.com)– This Nashville, Tennessee based team is creating innovative functional nanomaterials.
- Thor ORE (www.thorore.com) – This Orlando, Florida based team is developing a new process of by-product mining for Rare Earths and strategic materials.
- ThuRiYa Energy – This Orlando, Florida based team is creating high efficiency solar cells utilizing novel manufacturing techniques.
- WEAV3D (www.weav3d.com) - This Atlanta, Georgia based team is developing new composite forming equipment.
The competition was held at the UCF Rosen College of Hospitality Management on June 9th, 2017 and featured a wide range of expert judges, including:
- Dr. Tom O'neal, Associate Vice President at UCF Office of Research and Commercialization
- Janine Elliott, Program Officer at VentureWell
- George Gramatikas, CEO and Co-Founder at Turbine Technology Services
- Carol Hunter, Construction Project Controls Manager at Disney Parks & Resort
- Purnesh Seegopaul, General Partner at Pangea Ventures
One Grand Prize winner was selected to receive $50,000 and an invitation to compete in the Cleantech University Prize finals hosted by VentureWell and the U.S. Department of Energy in Austin, Texas from June 26-27, 2017.
While it was a close decision from the judges, the winning companies were:
Grand Prize - WEAV3D
Runner Up - Thor ORE
Runner UP - Sky Nano Technologies